Nature has checks and balances in place that trump human cleverness 100% of the time.
Nature’s wisdom may not be as blatant or loud or violent as human conceit in action, but it is far more powerful and always wins in the end. What do I mean?
First, let’s define “nature.” When I say nature I’m referring to your body, the natural world, mother earth and the animating force behind all life – whether you want to call it god or universal intelligence. I’m talking about the natural world in all its forms: energy, light, sound, plants, animals, fungi, bacteria, biology, quantum physics…
Human beings are part of nature, though we often forget it. Nature makes us, evolves us and as much as we impact nature with our own actions (destructive or productive), she impacts us in return.
Two primary concepts are the best starting place for understanding this theory:
- There are checks and balances within you as a self-contained natural organism – body, brain, heart, consciousness, subconscious, soul and spirit. This includes your physiology, biology, genetics, epigenetics and YOU – your unique self, your soul/psyche and spirit.
- Your body is a reflection of the world – the health (or sickness) of this planet we inhabit is reflected back to us by our bodies. We are intimately connected to nature, and what nature must suffer and endure…so too must we.
We are held accountable via these two feedback cycles to nature’s checks and balances.
What do I mean by “checks and balances?” Newton’s 3rd law comes to mind: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. As a simplistic example, in order for your quads to contract your hamstrings have to stretch/relax.
Hopefully we can all agree that the human body has to abide by certain physical laws or rules, right? These are a part of nature’s checks and balances, but they are incomplete in and of themselves.
I propose that, just as there are physical laws and rules, there are also spiritual laws and rules. Equally so, the earth itself has to abide by its own physiological, biological and spiritual laws and rules…which in turn, govern us.
There are simple cause and effect laws and rules (you must breathe oxygen or you will die), and incredibly complex ones (we humans can’t kill the planet without killing ourselves, but who has to die, when and in what manner is decidedly individual, situationally unique and thus highly complex).
I want to give you two concrete examples that you can begin working with immediately:
- The system in charge of granting changes to your physical body – like getting out of pain, healing anxiety or gut issues etc – is the nervous system. AND – this is so important – your nervous system is just as energetic or spiritual as it is physical in nature.
If you’ve “tried everything” to get out of pain and you’re spinning your wheels, it could be due to a nervous system pattern that is keeping you stuck.
Why would your nervous system do this?
This is nature’s checks and balances at play. Let’s say you have a lot of unhealed trauma in your psyche and your body, and you also happen to have back pain. If there’s a relationship between your back pain and your trauma, your nervous system cannot grant you freedom until you address the trauma. If your back pain is not related to your trauma, but the trauma is so pervasive that you can’t access your fascia for example – maybe, every time you get on a foam roller you tense up, stop breathing and push the roller out of your body due to your nervous system interpreting that experience as threatening, just like your trauma – then you will need to address at least some of that trauma and the resulting nervous system patterns before your nervous system will grant you physical change in tissues or nerve impulses (the pain signal you feel, for example).
One story I can share from my own life has to do with digestive issues and anxiety – I tried “everything” to heal these two issues, because they were debilitating and daily painful experiences for me. But it wasn’t until I started listening to my gut and aligning my life choices with my own gut intuitions that my digestive issues went away. And it wasn’t until I moved the nervous system trauma out of my body that I freed myself of the anxiety and story that I was an introvert who needed a lot of alone time.
After moving that trauma out of my body I realized I was an extrovert!
I suddenly had TONS of energy and that’s when my business took off and I began experiencing real vitality in body, soul and spirit.
- Maybe you’re experiencing something like brain fog, subtle (or not so subtle) digestive issues and anxiety, with a side of soft tissue pain from so much tension carried in your body. Maybe you’ve “tried everything” in terms of supplements, protocols, detoxes, elimination diets, therapy, hypnotherapy, life coaching, massage etc.
The one thing you may not have thought to explore is your environment. Maybe you’re living in a moldy house. Maybe you live near fracking, like I did in 2017-2018 when I got some of these exact symptoms. Maybe your household cleaners or beauty products are slowly poisoning you. Maybe it’s your food choices (not necessarily WHAT you’re eating, but where it came from and how it was grown/raised).
If your environment contains toxicity that you’re unaware of, your body may alert you to that truth with unpleasant symptoms. Unfortunately, the common instinct I see in soooo many of us, including myself, is to immediately put the blame on our bodies. We think we’re defective, there must be something “wrong” with us, maybe it’s our thyroid, adrenal glands, our liver, our physical fitness (or lack thereof)…we fixate on our bodies, projecting all our hopes and desires onto this physical manifestation of nature herself, without looking to the greater environment for signs of danger to life.
This is nature’s way of holding us accountable. For the record, I don’t say this emotionally, as in “nature punishes us for our bad behavior.” Nature exists without emotionality, and its primary objective is to sustain biodiversity of life on planet earth, and it will use any means necessary to accomplish that goal. This is one reason why humans have an immune system barrier that is a mere half a hair’s width thick – because we’re MEANT to engage with our environment and be impacted by it. We can’t poison the earth and declare war on biodiversity with our clearcutting of rainforests, our gmo crops sprayed with glyphosate, our war on “germs” via antibiotics (which literally means “anti-life”)…without suffering consequences.
This relationship and these checks and balances of nature are incredibly beautiful if you’re willing to consider that you are not the center of the universe and should get everything you want in life; that you instead are a part of something vast and magnificent in its intricacy, diversity and intelligence.
Every time I really dive in and think about these checks and balances I am in awe – of how my body holds me accountable not only to my own higher self, my inner wisdom, my intuition and core values, but also how she holds me accountable to the higher wisdom of nature herself, who is immeasurably more intelligent than I am. The wisdom of mother nature herself is right here inside of me! Inside of you, too…waiting to be honored with reverence, waiting to be learned from like a wise elder who could teach you all the secrets of life as only an elder can.
When you approach your body this way, she can teach you about the meaning of life and help you understand your place and purpose in the world. 008080
When you make your body your teacher, he will show you wonders beyond your greatest imagination and help you thrive while you’re alive.
There are many universes of possibility within what I’ve shared today. You contain universes within you, and I within me…
Whatever you may be struggling with today, I encourage you to turn towards your body with reverent curiosity; turn towards your resistance, your fears, your anger, your grief, your pain, and ask it to teach you something. Welcome the messenger, and open yourself to the message.
Don’t forget…it’s not always about you. Your body may be alerting you to critical threats to the very fabric of life showing up in your environment. And know this – your body, as part of nature, yearns for biodiversity, for life and growth and health. It is always striving for these things.
Please share your thoughts below.
* Disclaimer: The contents of this blog and accompanying YouTube channel are for informational purposes only and do not render medical or psychological advice, opinion, diagnosis, or treatment. The information provided through this website is expressly the opinions of each author and should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. This is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a medical or psychological problem, you should consult your appropriate health care provider. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. Links on this website are provided only as an informational resource, and it should not be implied that we recommend, endorse or approve of any of the content at the linked sites, nor are we responsible for their availability, accuracy or content.